Friday, September 20, 2013

A WUSSY GEEK OR A DUMB JOCK?



               ACADEMICS AND SPORTS. These two are most likely the quotidian things that's important to us, students. The stereo type of a dumb-jock might have some truth to it. A recent study by the NCAA in 2010 discovered that most division athletes spend more time on athletics than on their academic work. Although this is entirely true for college students, the reality is that it may be true for high school students as well. The fact that most athletes spend more time participating in sporting activities rather than focusing on their education may ultimately have a negative impact on their career.

               Although most student athletes never become professionals, they still spend excessive amounts of their time in sports rather than in academics. And I don't, for I still don't understand why you choose sports over academics. Okay I get it. You love playing sports and it's your passion and your tons better at it than in academics. So what? You only got better at it because you wanted to and you practiced long enough to be really good at it. If you can do all of that in sports, why can't you do it in studying? Nothing bad is going to happen right?

               If we teenagers talk about it, it all goes down to this "OMG! I freaking hate that subject and I barely understand anything!" or maybe " OMG! I just got a perfect score in our long test! I'm so happy!!!" Okay maybe not all teenagers say that especially the boys. Of course, we all know that they are more into sports than that of academics. But isn't that a bit unfair for the geeks? I mean I know that they're smart and all that stuff but they try to be at the top of their game when it comes to sports right? While those jocks who act all cool and stuff doesn't even give a f*ck about their grades (pardon me if I say some bad words). Nobody is born with such talents that instant. I believe that it gradually develops as we grow older. And for those people who are good with academics, I suggest you at least try to teach your classmates who are having difficulties. I may not be that smart but I'm not afraid to ask questions to either my teacher or my classmates as long as I know that if I ask this question, I will understand every subject well enough to have a good grade. Don't get me wrong. I do love sports especially those sports that requires your whole body to move. Why? Because not only I do sports for fun, but I also do it to keep my muscles strong and flexible.

               If I were to be born in this world again and be asked to choose whether to be a wussy geek or a dumb jock, I would most likely pick to be a wussy geek. Why? Because it's easier for a geek to be a sporty person than get a lazy and hard-headed jock to be an academically excellent person. But most importantly, we need not be these kind of persons because God has already planned our destiny. And we must be eager and patient to know what lies ahead of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment